Old 11-18-2014, 01:22 PM
mea12

Agree the 2212 is a solid machine. At the $200 price-point, there's also the Janome Jem Gold which is 3/4 sized and lots of people like that one...There are several mechanical Elnas that are similar to the Janomes but do have adjustable presser foot pressure. Lots of people like the Brother machine Dolphyngirl mentioned (SQ9050) and the Brothers tend to have more stitches than Elna/Janome. At around $400, Viking makes HQ100 and Janome has the Platinum 720 or 760 at $500. I like Janome brand..have and use 2 of them so I bought the My Style 100 for compatibility's sake. It's basic but does have drop-feed, adjustable width on ZZ and adjustable length w/ top handle. Has good power and slightly bigger than the Jem types. Really any machine you like that you are comfortable carrying works for classes. I see ppl w/ very high-end machines, some with very old vintage of all types, a few FW's, newish Singers and lots of mid-line Janomes. Things to consider: if your must-haves include variable needle position..many at $300 and under don't have that..as well many don't have adjustable pressure, adjustable width/length, no auto thread-cutters or needle up/down or a blanket stitch.. so if those things are important, you will probably spend more. I just wanted a small, light, simple, durable and reasonably quiet machine w/ a handle and a drop-in bobbin bc i have features on other machines i technically could take out but prefer not to.