View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 08:05 AM
RugosaB

Finally, something I know something about!

I was in a car accident 6 1/2 years ago, coma for 10 days, rehab for a couple of months, and looking back, something that really helped me was anything that made my brain think of what I used to do.

Photos on frames, of course of family, but also of things you would never think of putting in a photo.
My sewing machine, my basenjis(dogs), my house and various rooms. Also big words on the photos explaining what they are. Who the people are, the pet's names, sorts team names, etc. Any way to help his brain assciated the word to what is in the photo.

I think a quilt with fabric prints reminding this young man of his life, plus signatures of family, would be welcome.
He's going to get rehab treatment to relearn to open zippers, button, and eating, but what he's going to need is constant reminders, photos, of his life before the accident. DO NOT cut up his own aricles of clothing, just bring them in to be remembered (I don't know if I could have handled my things being cut up)

Bring in his favorie tshirts, not cut up, just so he can be reminded of what he liked

I have learned since that every brain injury is different, these are the things that helped ME, his experience might be different.

One thing, has nothing to do with quilting:

My husband told me that I fell out of the bed once, so at night they'd zip what I call a 'cage' around the bed. I don't remember if they told me why, maybe they did and I don't remember, but I HATED that thing (though I completely understand why they used it)

It remimded my so much of one particular dog I have that can not tolerate the crate for more than 10 minutes.
Thinking if her, and this 'cage' thing, was the man reason I checked myself out of the rehab. My husband had to sign some papers of course, but I was finally free of that cage! I do not understand the details, but he got 8 wks off from work, with pay, to stay home with me. That, plus being in familiar surroundings, was better than any ol' rehab with a cage!

My suggestion is when talking to him, do not be afraid of repeating yourself, especially say things that you might have said a day before. Like I said, I never remember them telling me about the cage, and why they used it, and I think knowing the WHY would have allowed me to be more accepting of it.

Talk simply, but also talk as you normally would. The brain can catch on to more complicated conversation, but something said simply is needed for understanding.

This post probably seems a bit mixed up, I have a bit of trouble organizing my thoughts. I hope my message is getting through.