Old 11-22-2014, 05:35 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

I started quilting after I retired and while I had a sewing machine my only "experience" with quilting was watching Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts. Our parks system offered a beginning quilting class and the woman who taught it was exactly what I was looking for. I learned all the basics in a kind and generous way. It turned out to be a very small class that met for 2 hours once a week, pay as you go. People came and went, and sometimes we all worked the same thing, but if we didn't want to, she would help us with our own projects. The thing is, it didn't seem structured (but in a way it was) and that may bother some, but, everyone got what they needed to learn to quilt. Some of us from the original class stayed with it for a few years, until the instructor got a "real job" teaching art in an elementary school. Sad day when she left. Next instructor was a bit of a "militant" - do it my way or else. So eventually we all left the class. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what made it so good for those of us who stayed. Learning, social, flexible, etc. I've taken classes since then. Some I've enjoyed more than others, but that original one was such a good experience. Now I prefer to quilt on my own. I do watch lots of videos.