Old 11-22-2014, 09:26 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cannyquilter View Post
I have a recipe you might enjoy it's not cookies and not strictly a dessert. This was traditionally made on Guy Fawkes night and is very morish.

Cinder Toffee

500g caster sugar
225g Golden Syrup
2 teaspoons Vanilla Essence
90 ml water
1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda

Grease 8 in tin and line with parchment paper grease parchment paper.

Put all ingredients EXCEPT bicarbonate of soda into a medium to large heavy bottomed pan.

Bring to the boil, do not stir when colour is golden brown temp 150C remove from heat add bicarbonate of soda and whisk thoroughly. This will bubble up like a volcano so take care the sugar mixture is VERY hot.

Pour into prepared tin immediately and allow to cool completely break into pieces.

Enjoy.
This is a magical confection I remember getting when I was a kid. A couple of years ago I was visiting my daughter and son in law in England (they lived there) and the Sweets Shops had cinder toffee!! I ate a ton of it while there, but am totally intimidated by trying to make it myself. Even the ingredients sound intimidating, trying to figure out what they are called in America, if we even have them.... I will just save it for something in the mystical realm that I can get when I am in England again. Thanks for sharing your recipe. If anyone tries it I'd be interested in knowing what they used and how it turned out.