View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 09:40 AM
tessagin
Power Poster

Also be careful if they always carry a big purse with "junk". Friend of mine lost a necklace of sentimental value at the first interview. The necklace belonged to her grandmother from a nickel and dime, but it was the last Christmas gift she got from her. If they are very interested in everything you have the "red flags" will rise even if you miss them.
Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I have hired a few different people to help with housekeeping chores, and this is what I have learned. 1. Do not hire the person who seems to need the work, desperation is not a good thing in a housekeeper. 2. Do not hire the person who you have so much in common with, that you both just keep talking, that will be what happens when she should be working. 3. While interviewing, watch the other person for what attracts their attention, if they are interested in your art collection, keep doing interviews. Even if you never plan to be gone when they are at your home, ask how they feel about working when you are absent. Beware the housekeeper who says "I prefer to work with no one home". Why does she prefer that working environment? If you will be absent diring working hours, invest in a nanny cam of some kind, for yours as well as her protection. I have one that I set up even when I am home, just to keep tabs.

After saying ing all of this, my current home helper is a gem. My last one was OK, but I never trusted her, and the first one was a knee jerk "help a young mom" impulse hire, big, big, mistake! She cost me several hundred dollars in broken tools and ruined items. ( I'm real glad she did not electrocute herself when she used my Bissel vacuum to clean up water she spilled in the kitchen, and no it was not a shop vac!)
Your state or local "in home health care provider registry" might be a good place to start. Here in Oregon they are registered and certified by the state and they do the background checks for you. Never skip the background check!