View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 AM
tapper

No one in my family quilted but my paternal grandmother hooked rugs on a big frame with each end of the frame set on a big wooden apple barrel. The barrels held all kinds of fabric cut into pieces. In later years I remember the stockings(and later panty hose) hooked into the background on the rugs.
Nan did have quilts on all the beds and sewed clothes but can't remember her making any quilts.
I can also remember a white goat rug at the top of the stairs and loved the furry warmth. Perhaps it was bought but they were very poor so don't think that was the case.
The house was torn down while I was away at college and I don't know what happened to her stuff....would have loved to have had her big sewing/knitting basket.
She was a pioneer...an educated woman, which was rare in those days in this area...worked at bookkeeping. Her and Granda had 5 boys 3 girls....girls all died young of TB.
She worked in the gardens at veggies and haymaking and loved the outdoors. She would never come from the hay garden ( which was near the ocean) without carrying a 'burn' of driftwood on her back tied together with a string. The wood was used as firewood.
Berry-picking was her favorite pastime. I can see her now, sitting in the 'front room' chair with a load of berries in her big white apron...cleaning them and then putting the cleaned berries into a big white enamel bowl that had darker chipped enamel areas.

Sorry for the nostalgia trip....more info than you needed, I'm sure, but it was so pleasant remembering those times.