View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 12:31 PM
HouseDragon

My father's side of the family never talked about their history and his mother died when I was twelve.

My mother was a fabulous baker but did no handwork. Since her mother died when my Mom was five years old, I know nothing about her parents or grandparents. However, her second oldest sister was a quilter and I have three of Aunty Inez' quilts in just retrieved and still partially unpacked storage.

The horrible thing is that I'd bought archive boxes and tissue to pack those three quilts for storage. They were carefully cleaned and put into the boxes which were then sealed and put in the room with all the stuff to go into long term storage while we were living abroad. Fast forward fifteen years to when we sold that house and had to empty the store-room. I discovered one of the evil packers had opened the quilt boxes and dumped the quilts out into a out-of-sight area. We had hours left to finish sorting and sending the "keepers" to the long term storage with the rest of our things. My precious quilts were covered with mouse droppings and pee. I had to put them into the washer and dryer one at a time. Yes, that further damaged them but the alternative was worse.

I am enjoying reading about all your interesting histories. How I wish I'd asked questions when everyone was still alive.