Thread: Sandy63
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 06:40 PM
Sandy63

Default Sandy63

I haven't been quilting really that long. Started with an embroidery machine and somehow or other it lead to quilting. I retired about 7 years ago and that is how it all started. I just can't get enough of it. My very first blanket was an embroidered baby blanket and the only quilting that I did was in the ditch. I continued with another embroidered quilt. This time a queen size and again just stitching in the ditch. Then I started noticing all the different patterns one could put on a quilt and of course the one pattern I love the most is the feather. I just love that pattern. I have practiced on paper and then on material and have gotten pretty good if I do say so myself. I found it very difficult keeping the back of my quilt flat and wasn't too long that the best way around this is to get a quilting table, which I did. I purchased a B Line table with a Juki sewing machine. That system work well but it wasn't very long before I got tired of turning the material every 8 inches. My daughter is getting interested in quilting so I thought it would be good to give this setup to her and in turn I would buy a new system. This time a longarm, which I did. I found an Avante 18 HQ. I love it. I found a used machine because I felt because of my age (64) I shouldn't spend too much money. I was told this machine is only 3 years old but was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can determine the age. The reason I ask this is because the wheels that are on my machine are large white plastic wheels whereas the pictures I see of other machine they are quite small. I was thinking that I would like to get the table they sell with the avante as the one that came with it is a Hinterburg wooden table. Would I have to do something to my machine in order to do this? Anyways this is where I am and would really appreciate it if someone could help me