View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 08:55 AM
AllyStitches

Default Serger Recommendations?

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been around much. Been super busy and haven't been at my machine much. I did make a super cute skirt that came out great, just about 3 sizes too big! HA! I'm still learning how to size and even though I measured myself like 14 times and read, re-read and read the pattern sizing again, I still managed to flub it up. Even with a meticulous 5/8 seam. LOL. So I've got another one in the works now. I'm hoping that one will be just about right. I did order a dress form, which will help (YAY HUBBY-- I've been putting it off for years, but last week I noticed they were on sale.. I was hemming and hawing and he said I should get it as a weight loss reward since I hit my goal last week. How can you argue with that?! Love that guy!)

Anyway. Ahem. Back on topic. I'm thinking about watching for a Serger to pop up this holiday season, maybe on sale or after Christmas when someone has found one under the tree and is selling an old model. It would be my Christmas present-- again, yay hubby, how lucky am I that he is so thoughtful. I've been wanting one for years, but the truth is that I don't know much about them. So I'm looking for insight as to what people like and dislike about their machines. One thing I know I want is the edge cutter-- I think that's just an accessory foot? Is that right? Why do some machines have more threads than others? I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like a good quality machine.

Thanks for any insight!

Best,
Ally