Old 01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Sandy1951

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I'm so afraid to start cutting! Is there a "Quilting for Dummies" book?
Yes, there is! :D I've read a lot of the books for beginning quilters, but I haven't read "Quilting for Dummies." I saw it at the library, but it didn't have enough pictures to satisfy me. I can recommend:

"Quilter's Academy Vol. 1: Freshman Year" by Harriet Hargrave I haven't actually read this yet, but I've read Harriet's other books and she's excellent. Someone else on the QB bought this and recommended it, too.

"The Quilting Bible" created by the editors of Creative Publishing International
I bought this book after getting it out from the library because it has a LOT of pictures and I thought it was one of the most understandable books for a beginner. The quilts included aren't especially pretty, but there are other projects besides quilts such as table runners, a quilted jacket, a quilted vest, a sleeping bag, a baby bunting, and a couple of tote bags. I didn't buy it for the projects though, but to learn the basics of quilting.

"Your First Quilt Book (or it should be!)" by Carol Doak This one is also good.

If you go to Amazon and pull up any of these books, Amazon will recommend similar books and you can browse to your heart's content to see which ones might be best for you. I like it when they let you "look inside the book." I used Amazon to figure out which books I thought would be good, then I got them from my library.

There's a wealth of knowledge on the QB, of course, as well as other internet sites. Even so, I'm the type of person who likes to hold a book and read, especially when there are lots of pictures when reading about something like learning to quilt. I think a book makes it easier, especially when I need to read a section over and over to completely understand it. :roll: I also tend to get distracted when I'm trying to learn how to do something while online, it's too easy to click the links and go somewhere else.