Old 11-28-2014, 05:21 PM
KenmoreGal2

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Looking at the picture of the assembled tension I cannot see the thread take up spring.

For your tension to work that spring must be there.

Here is a couple pics of the top tension of my MW 7 Jewel machine that has a very similar tension unit.

Follow the path of the red thread. Under the right side around the bottom then up and under the hook on the left side of the housing. Then down to the left under the thread check spring then back up to the take up lever.

Here's a bigger cropped version:

The thread take up spring keeps the tension on the thread as the thread take up lever moves up and down.
Without it the tension is very inconsistent.

If the thread check spring is there, sorry, I just don't see it .....

Joe
Joe, I deleted your pics from the quote to save space but thanks for going to the trouble of taking them for me. I appreciate all your help. Here is a side shot of my tension assembly (resized - just for you!) I hope I got close enough for you to see the thread check spring. I can definitely see it in your pics, but I think mine must be different. As I replied to Champanier, I can't figure out a way to get my thread to engage like that. I didn't repost the picture in his/her reply to save space. Can you see it there, on the side?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500444[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_5558.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-29-2014 at 01:05 PM.