Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 PM
KenmoreGal2

I've also gotten DH involved, he's very good mechanically. (I'm not really). We took the tensioner apart again. He agrees that if the spring is getting too compressed, that would make the discs give less tension. He found a smidge more lint behind the back layer of discs. We'd like to take the tension mechanism apart completely to see if there's anything else hiding there, maybe making things too tight, but we hesitate for fear of breaking something. He inserted a screwdriver in what looks like a screw top on the center shaft and gave it a slight turn but it didn't budge so he stopped. Is that how we get the rest of the tension discs exposed?

We checked the tension on the bobbin and it seemed good. I loosened it and it was obviously too loose at that stage, so I put it back where it was. I think it's ok.

it seems the tension gets too tight too soon, after just a couple of turns. The tension discs are definitely working in some form, the tension does change when we adjust them.

We successfully removed the whole tension assembly from the machine. (I own the service manual. It didn't touch on the problem I'm having.). We could still not figure out how to see if there's something at the back end of it making everything too tight so we put it back. I've noted (again) where the machine is stitching well and I'll monitor if I have to loosen the tension again. Maybe this time it will just magically keep working as is?

As I stated before I own another 117. (It was originally a parts machine, in rough shape, but I'm fixing it up to use it) The tensioner on that machine does not get tight so quickly. It's a noticeable difference. I realize I could probably trade out tensioners but I had my heart set on having two working 117's - one set up for piecing and one set up for FMQ.

Any and all advice appreciated!! Thank you again, you guys are so nice.

Joan

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-29-2014 at 01:06 PM.