View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
eparys

Originally Posted by Luvmygarden
Thanks
That is what I don't understand. When or how I should say, does digitalizing(sp) happen. So I might download something and it is not digitalized. Will I know after
it is in my machine and I do a practice piece?
As you can tell I am a very..... newby at this.
I am learning so many tips just reading this forum
amazing.
OK I hope this is what you are asking . . .

My machine is a Pfaff 2170 and will "read" several different files/formats. Digitizing takes place when a image (either a .bmp or .jpeg file) is converted into machine stitches. Most digitizing software can also take a particular stitch file (such as a .vip , .pes or other file) and convert it into another file format such as .exp or .jes. Some simple programs are available that will allow you to view the stitch file and convert it to other formats. Each embroidery machine manufacturer has a proprietary format but many of the newer machines will "read" and stitch out several different formats.

My guess is that you will download a file that has been already digitized. All the sites that UpNorth gave you are good sites and all the files you find there or at the sites that I posted are digitized already. The question is really whether you machine can read the file and stitch it. What machine do you have and or what format does it take??