View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 05:18 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
If I could afford it, I'd get a Babylock version.
I'd stay away from the Viking (Husqvarna) sergers, I've heard lots of people at the swedish sewing board having big troubles with them.

I've had my Singer coverlock (serger coverstitch combo) for 9 years now. I love it! I've sewn tons of baby/childrens clothes on it and even some for myself. It is really robust and changeover between overlock and coverstitch takes about 4 minutes (I've timed it).

Anyway, that is my recommendation.
The thing is, you should test them if you can. It isn't hard to find users who have had issues on every machine out there. Some is the machine itself and some of them can be user error. I don't shy away from things until I've really researched them and hopefully tried them out. I have several Viking machines and no problems with any of them, I've used Brother machines at events and they are great and I own an old singer and a Kenmore made by Janome, these all have been great machines. Do your research and try them out if possible. Make sure you have a warranty or if you buy on line see if there is a dealer in your area that can help you learn. I take classes and I've made two jackets, a purse, a throw quilt, a table runner with decorative stitches and a few other things completely on my serger. They are great machines and I think are under used.