View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 02:07 PM
maviskw

Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
I have two FW's. I purchased both used. I would really love to know the sewing history behind both machines, would be so fascinating to put together a small booklet and keep with each machine for historical purposes. One machine is a 1935 and the other a 1937. I love your history about your Mom's machine, and thanks for caring enough to clean her FW and keep it in working order. These little jewels were made to work and last, as were so many things in our earlier history, not like many things today, that seem to last only until paid for then require a new one such a shame. I guess because we live in such a fast paced world anymore, everything needs to be like (fast food service), and all of the disposal things we use now, use it and throw it away or buy new.
Last weekend we were at a party. Everyone had retired to the living room for games, and the candles were left burning, as they always are. A napkin got too close to a candle and started a fire. A fireman guest knew how to put out the fire, but there was a 12 X 12 inch hole in the beautiful white table cloth. I mentioned that I could cut off the end of that table cloth and re-hem it, and it would fit a smaller table.
The maid came the next morning and the table cloth went into the garbage. I had made that table cloth about 10 years ago and it was custom made to fit that table. That length is almost impossible to find and very expensive if you do.
I was a little upset at first, but I also realized that not everyone is into fixing and making do as I am. I guess most people would just throw it away and buy a new one.