View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
SassySewer53

Originally Posted by dmackey
On the Brother machines, what model has the largest hoop size? I'm now thinking, I would like to be sure I have one that can do a decent job of filling the space inside a 12" block for my quilts, so maybe one that has a hoope of about 8x8? Do they make those or am I getting into an expensive machine to do that?

Diane
Diane, the difference between Brother and Baby Lock is in Disney embroidery designs. Brother has a contract with Disney, so their machines are preloaded with a host of designs from Disney. Babylock has some Nancy Zieman designs loaded on their higher end machines.

I think you will be happier to get an embroidery machine with larger sewing field capability. Seems like the smaller machines do not have enough designs to offer out there. Babylock has the Esante' that is mid range but very good quality work for around 2500. Brother Innovis 2500D is also a good machine that is midrange but has enough bells and whistles to intrique your creativity that falls in the same price range.

You also want to make sure there is USB capability. This is for design transport, and to also keep machine firmware current in technology applications. If you look online at SewsItsforsale.com or sewingbuys.com at the Brother links, you should be able to get a good used machine with more capability at much less cost. Usually, these are tradeins or machines that the owner wants to rid of in order to downsize a sewing studio, or to raise funds to buy the TOL version of a brand.

I have seen Brother machines used for around 2500 to 3500, depending on age, size of machine, etc. Often with older models that use converter box, those will run right at 1000 to 1500. Again, perfectly fine machines, but older ones that the owner sells in order to upgrade or downsize sewing space.