Old 11-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Patchesnposies

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
Yes Lynnie,cows have a heat cycle too. It's about every 21 days for less than 1 day. Pat sounds like a nice visit. I try not to go to e-bay or pinterest or itsy very often. Costs me to much time and money. Love looking though.Is the board a pleating board? When I got my turkeys I bought baby chicks. I had to keep them warm with lights until they were about 2 months old. Then with the warmer weather and them huddling they stayed warm. If your neighbor got older turkeys they wouldn't have to keep them warm. They are kinda dumb though. I've heard they will look up to watch a storm and drown in the rain.
Turkey's can be sweet and even pet like. But, they are STUPID! We decided we were going to raise a breed of turkey that were more like wild turkey's, an old "undomesticated" breed. Once they outgrew the brooder and were feathered out we put them into a large chain link run with a beautiful coop. Those kooky birds found every possible way that they could kill themselves imaginable.

The very last one, that we , in fact, had grown very fond of......flew headlong into the chain link fence and we found it hanging by its head in the morning.

Either we or the birds were too stupid to successfully raise them. I like to believe it was the birds....but it could be that we were the stupid ones. lol In our own defense we have raise hundreds of other fowl and at one point had 8 incubators in the house hatching out eggs. Our kids raised and sold chicks, pullets and eggs at the time.....they've outgrown the farm stuff (Our little place was named Fowl Weather Farm) and are on to other more exciting adventures. I miss those days!