View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Janan

Default Newbie to quilting from Texas!

Hello from Texas!

I am new to quilting and fairly new to sewing! I spent many hours watching my mother quilt and sew and have always wanted to continue her legacy, but was intimidated by my own perfectionism. lol

I am retired and do a little volunteering, so I decided to put my feet in the water by making a rag quilt for a baby carseat. That job was small enough and easy enough to not scare me away. After watching countless you-tube tutorials, I made the quilt with my mom's vintage Singer lightweight.

I moved from there to quilting a throw for a dear friend for Christmas. This one I quilted by hand because the fabric I chose for the backing and batting ended up making my quilt too thick to sew on the machine. Other than sore fingers from pushing the needle through all that material, it wasn't too bad at all. My last task will be to hand sew the binding onto the quilt sandwich. Lesson learned on choosing fabric!

With two small quilt projects behind me, I will be ready to move to quilt throws for the grands. I am already looking forward to shopping for fabric.

Is there a site on this forum to discuss sewing machines? Hubby has graciously offered me a new sewing machine for Christmas! Isn't he a doll? And he said to make sure to get one that will do all I want! Priceless! Now, I don't want to get too carried away, because I may never reach the potential that I have in my head. So does anyone suggest a sewing machine to start with that will allow machine quilting? I will do some by hand as well, but it will be fun to play with some of the stitches offer on new machines.

I look forward to learning and making new friends!

Janan
Attached Thumbnails baby-quilt.jpg   singer-221.png