View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 04:38 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Mywncmtns View Post
Thanks everyone, I ended up taking it in for service. He fixed it and declared it to be running well. (Husband is putting it back in the cabinet for me now.) I also learned that I have a 401g not a 401a. I had never heard of the 401g so when I saw 401 on the manual, I assumed I had the 401a. Now I'm reading a helpful post started by Miriam about the 401g.
Oooh! One of the German machines! They sound better and seem to run better to me for some reason.

Well I could just cry - $90 later and the stitch selector for A-J has some movement (so yay!) but when I opened it up, that finger STILL isn't in the collar slot for the K-S side. The finger is now resting on top of the collar and goes into notches above the collar. So I can't move the knob past O. I still suspect there is gunk below the K-S collar and the collar sticks in it, and refuses to travel up the shaft.

Kicking myself for not moving the knobs in the store. Just took his word for it. (He had stitch examples he had done with the machine.) It will be a two-hour round trip, but at least I expect he will stand besides his work.
I'm going to take a good photo of what it's supposed to look like so you can take it in to the guy. If he's still open, call him right away to tell him it's coming and why. I'm also going to see if there's an "easy" way to disassemble and reassemble for you.

Here are photos after the repair. I circled what I'm talking about because I know my terminology is lacking. On the A-J knob of this machine (as well as the earlier 401a example) the finger rests in a slot on the collar. As you can see the finger is now above the collar which is stuck on the bottom. I assume this isn't normal.
No, it's not normal, and I'm not sure how he did it. Let me check.

ETA: OK, I Know how to fix it, and what he likely did. I could talk you through it, but I don't know if I can write it.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 12-04-2014 at 04:45 PM.