View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Kryssa

I sewed a bit as a child and young adult. My mother had a custom sewing business so I had access to machines. The most advanced thing I ever made was a bathrobe. I can sew straight lines, thread a machine, and wind a bobbin. I could probably complete a simple garment with a pattern.

I've never done any quilting, but for years now I've been watching the LJ quilting community to see the wonderful quilts they show off. I've been waiting for us to move into a bigger place and we did last month. I didn't have enough room for another hobby's worth of stash and supplies! The start-up costs of quilting were also daunting.

I will probably take a few classes before launching off on my own. I learn well from books and the internet, especially when I can come to a forum like this one with any questions. The quilt shop near me has some guest teachers for advanced techniques that I would probably continue to take after I've mastered the basics. They also have "open sewing" time and a monthly club at their shop that I'd probably attend.