View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 AM
QBeth

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I just crawled out of my sewing room after a full morning of bliss... my sewing "suit" consists of:

T-shirt (no bra)
Shorts
No shoes, socks, or slippers (must have direct contact with the foot control)
A pair of magnifiers clipped to my glasses

I consider the day a complete success if I didn't have to get more dressed than that!
I'm with you! When I get home from work, off comes the bra and it's sewing time!

I had to laugh at the advice from 1949. But, when I think back to my early days of job interviewing (mid-1970's), all the etiquette books for women going on interviews said the best dressed women wear a hat! Also, pre-career, still in college, I sold Tupperware at home parties. Guess what their training manual specified? A hat!

Looking back, both pieces of advice on wearing a hat were ludicrous and out-of-date. One only had to look out a classroom window (Northeastern Univ., back bay of Boston) to see the protest marches coming down Huntington Ave. and the booths set up in the Quad for the Black Panthers/Weathermen/SDS/etc., while listening for evacuation alarms for yet another bomb scare. Wild times. The only hat I would have needed back then would have to have been combat ready! I'm sure we all have stories like this.