Old 12-10-2014, 04:35 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
When I was at the UPS station this morning getting my treadle, I watched the counter guy bring out a package for someone and literally toss it onto the counter as he walked up. The sound of glass breaking when it hit left the room silent...
Well, the counter guy wouldn't have had enjoyed writing up the insurance form then, but I'll bet everyone else there would have Hmm... cause of damage?

Everyone here knows it's a bad idea to give Australia Post anything fragile and their policy is not to accept responsibility unless you buy insurance (then try and claim on it - you'll be waiting months and jumping through hoops). The people who work at the post office have warned me that everything must be very well packed and I should expect it to be thrown off at least one truck onto the ground (antique sewing machine anyone?).
Delivery people just want to get things off their lists as soon as possible, and don't respect that what their delivering might be important to someone. They're possibly overloaded with work and under pressure to do everything faster.
I've heard it's a bad idea (possibly on this forum) to write "fragile" or "handle with care", as the delivery people might get offended and be deliberately rough.
I've found a courier that's cheaper (usually) than AP and everything so far has arrived intact. This seems to be a good temporary solution anyway: They'll get a good reputation and more business from me.

I ordered some things in the past year or two from the U.S. and all packages, whether USPS or not, have come through Chicago and been delivered by Fed Ex (I think). It now takes significantly longer to get anything. Only a few years earlier I'd get an order as little as 3 business days after ordering! Now it's usually 10. Progress!