View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 06:28 PM
LynnVT

In 1933 a Singer Featherweight was a huge expense for depression families, but women saved their egg money and made clothes for their families or others to make money. I think in comparison, the cost is similar. Back in the mid1990s, my husband bought me a new Janome 9000 for half price (marked down because the 10000 was coming out.) We looked around at machines, and loved the quiet sound of it, so I could sew while we watched TV. I love the shape of it - rounded and sweet. And we felt the high quality made it worth what it cost. Hubby used some of the small inheritance he got when his mother died, and has always been pleased for me to have such a good machine. I don't use the embroidery features as much as I thought I would, but my Jan is still my treasure. Makes me sad when people tell me it's outdated, because it's still humming along beautifully with minimal maintenance.
Back then we were both working and the chicks had left our nest. I agree that everyone has a standard of what to spend and what they want. Go with your heart!