View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Ariannaquilts

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Arianna, I've read your post a few times, trying to make sure I am understanding you. Are you asking why someone would sink a lot of money into a DSM, as opposed to a similarly-priced LA that has potential to pay for itself via a business? If so, then what did you mean about the Bernina? That it shouldn't be on a frame when it can do a lot of other things? If that's it, then I'd think you would like it that the Bernina could potentially pay for itself as a LA.

From the responses, it looks like the posters think you are asking why pay a lot for a DSM when you could spend it elsewhere. Which is a different question altogether. Maybe you could elaborate?

Hugs,
Charlotte
Hi Charlotte I'll be more than happy to elaborate my friend that I was referring to bought the machine because of all the bells and whistles but because she put it on the frame she can't use it for everything she wanted so she uses it to sort of long arm quilt, I say sort of because the harp is not that big so the weight of the quilt makes it difficult to really get what she would have been able to had she bought a actual long arm. As for the paying for itself I am referring to a recent post where people said they didn't want to pay someone else to quilt their tops for them they wanted to do it from start to finish themselves. Personally I think you should be able to buy what you want and not feel the need to justify the cost to anyone. Heck I can't say anything about anything that anyone buys I have 7 machines would love to be able to get a long arm and an embroidery machine unfortunately at this point in my life I am not able but that doesn't mean it won't happen someday. This came about because I was asked how much it would cost for me to get the machine that I would love to have and the response was you are out of your mind there are so many other things you could do with the money, so I decided to ask a few of my friends. I know I could have worded this thread differently but needed to get this type of response to show that it's not just me. So thank you all for the wonderful responses that I knew I would get, I knew a lot of you would get defensive and maybe angry but I knew it would be real! Some people don't understand that at some point in our lives mothers get to say "it's my turn I deserve this and I want it ".