View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post

Research has shown that buying expensive things doesn't give you much bang for your buck as far as happiness goes. However creating things gives you a lot of bang for the buck in the happiness realm. My husband pointed out that the Janome is a tool. For me the Janome is a less frustrating tool than the one I had, to allow me to do something I love and want to get better at. I already am less frustrated when I sew. With the private lesson the shop gave me before I took it home, I was able to plug and play immediately. I can tell I'm really going to enjoy this machine. For me experiences are more important than 'things' and the Janome is helping me to learn new things and enjoy creating, two great experiences.
Great way to put it. For us, our machines are our tools just like an auto mechanic has his.her tools. My husband, who worked in the field for years (repairing heavy equipment) preferred the big name brands of tools Mac, Snap-On, etc. over the tools you'd find at Walmart. There's a reason. When our tools work effortlessly or make the work a pleasure, then the expense is worth it. When your tools are fighting you the whole time, it makes the work unpleasant and more difficult than it needs to be.