View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 02:59 AM
yobrosew

I don't get it, either, but not so much because of the cost. My husband for years wanted to get me a brand new, expensive, no stops machine. It was like a dream to him to do this. I would go with him and try the new machines and hated them. Since the early eighties, I did not like the feel of the machines. None compared to the Wards I had inherited from my step-father. None compared to the first Kenmore my husband bought in the early eighties. Since the most basic Husquarvana I purchased in 1990, everything to me seems like junk -- even the expensive ones. They may make dream stitches but they feeeeeeel cheap to me. The 'pretties', as in exteriors and plastic trims, are cheezey, but then I have been surrounded by plastics geniuses for most of my life so probably see the poor craftsmanship and are bugged by mold lines and parts not locking properly. That is why I am not drawn to the newer, expensive machines, not the cost. Now, I would pay a lot of money for a pretty, shiny, all metal gorgeous vintage machine. I prefer cams as from an engineering standpoint, combined with materials used for such, they are actual tools. I prefer a machine I can fix and do not have to take in for every little temperamental fit. I recently obtained a Bernina made in 1976. This machine cost the original owner a LOT of money but was intended to last a lifetime. And it has outlived the owner. The monies being spent on machines of today are not an investment as in times past and will not last or be able to be repaired for a lifetime of sewing. Thus, I would have a hard time spending the money on one of these disposable machines (compared to machines of time past). To others, especially if in twilight years and have no concern to pass on to daughter, I get it. But for the most part, it does what top-of-the-line vintage machines do. Oh, the beauty and quality of the early plastics on vintage sewing machines! I get spending money on what one wants and is excited about but I don't get the looking at, let alone purchasing a new machine that costs 2K+. And the new machine followers just don't get paying all that money for something that requires changing things out and is sixty or seventy years old. To me the new machines are more work. To the followers of new machines the old machines are too much work. So, the answer your question, you are not alone in not getting it, but I accept it could be because I have some paradigm shortcomings. Thank you for braving the question as I had thought the same thing but when asked once of someone they took it as an insult and were upset, saying I was judging them and self-righteous. I was not, am not now; either are you with your question. I originally had asked because then, and even now, I am trying to figure out what I am missing in understanding as new, expensive machines make no sense to me. Oh, and after bringing the White Treadle and the Bernina 62C, DH says he so gets what I am talking about. He claimed the machine for himself and is going to quilt with me. He even hemmed his pajamas pants.

Last edited by yobrosew; 12-11-2014 at 03:08 AM.