Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Edie

You can see by the picture (avatar) of the baby quilt that would have looked horrible with sashing, between the blocks, but it does work around the quilt and then with the border and then you can see about 1-1/2" of the binding.

It's fun, isn't it to do your own thing. I have gotten now to where I have a reputation with my quilts. "It's an Edie quilt." I generally put my personality, love and my own coloring of the design of the block. And it reeks through!!!!!!!! I try to make happy quilts. I really don't follow any color pattern. I just do my own thing and go upon my merry way. Each little square has a meaning.

I made a Memory Quilt - took over a year to make, but each little square was a part of my life and the grandkids like for me to explain the blocks to them. "Oh, this is Christmas in the 50's - 1959 in particular when I met ;your grandfather. I got a little snockered at the Christmas party at work and had to play the organ for the Children's Christmas Program and I walked in, got my robe on, sat at the organ, turned it on, pulled the stops and AWAY I WENT!!!!! I played Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring for the first and only time in my life without a mistake." So every time I look at that block with Christmas trees, holly and bells and music notes all in a retro style of the 50's, I have the most wonderful memory. I lremember my Mom gave me a greasy pork chop to eat before I got to the church so I wouldn't get sick. And then the Superintendent of the Sunday School also had a glow on! Every one should make their own memory quilt - lots of fussy cutting to get just the right memory out of a piece of fabric.

Sorry for carrying on. Edie