View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 08:50 AM
ThayerRags

I obtained another “Potential Quilt Piecing Machine”, in case I ever decide to make a quilt out of old carpet remnants or surplus entry rugs. My wife is already looking forward to a patch-work entry rug for her shop if I can ever figure out how it works and get it to sewing again.

I still don’t understand all I know about it, but near as I can tell, it’s a Singer 35-1 Carpet Sewing Machine. I downloaded the parts manual and User Manual and things seem to match up. It has a size 26 curved needle and a looper (both look in good shape) that makes a 2-thread chain stitch using two spools of thread. The tensions are on the spools of thread instead of having separate tension assemblies. The thread take-up lever is on the looper thread instead of the needle thread, so it’s going to have a rather large learning curve for me, I’m afraid. It originally came with some extra parts that included 4 carpet guides and a couple of looper threading wires, so I’m going to have to try to improvise too.

It’s got the number 450 stamped into the arm above the Singer badge, so I don’t know if that’s a serial number or what. There’s not any tag on it that says 35-1 (or 35K1) either. The newest patent date on it is APR.15.84.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine576_11.jpg   machine576_12.jpg   machine576_13.jpg   machine576_14.jpg