View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 05:00 PM
sews

Default Necchi 536FB - mystery part

I bought an older, all metal Necchi yesterday, Japanese vintage. I wanted a machine for button holes and zigzag. I have a Citation (Brother clone) but haven't been able to "connect" with that machine (yet).

So, I answered a CL ad for a Necchi 536FB in "excellent condition", available just 15 min down the road.

We met at a store (small town) and ended up crouched on the floor (!?), where the power outlet was located. The seller pressed on the foot pedal and the machine ran... I wanted to try it myself, since one of the reasons I am still machine hunting was that the Citation starts too fast and I want more control.

So, I pressed down (by hand, mind you, since we are squatting), and the needle goes real slow. I press all the way down - still real slow. I stop, start again --- even slower. What? So now she yanks at the body to look underneath. This is not her machine ("I know nothing about this machine"), but her MIL's, who is downsizing......
It seems jammed - I thought maybe a needle is stuck somewhere. I assume I can fix this and get the machine for 25 instead of 55.........

On the way home I realize there is no bobbin case or bobbin..... .. I guess spending time on the floor and inspecting the machine that way made me just want to get it done quickly.

Set up at home and now the machine doesn't move at all. WOW. Frustrating. Played around, found nothing blocking any movement, and figured I might as well oil it. And ... yes, it sowly came back to life! It was sparkling clean inside --- and dry as a bone.

There is a white substance on a gear, and I wonder if that is OK?
More importantly, a red plastic crescent was laying at the bottom of the case.... WHAT IS IT? See photos.

This machine - in "excellent condition" - also has a faulty wire to the foot pedal, so that quit on me as well... but my husband fixed it and also supplied a bobbin case and bobbin from one of his defunct machines.....

So glad the machine began to reveal its true condition before I paid full price!
It runs pretty well now, even without the red thing, whatever it might be. Any idea?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502190[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502191[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails redthing.jpg   dsc04037.jpg