View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 07:30 AM
ThayerRags

Further research on the Singer 35-1 Carpet Sewing Machine (thanks to Needlebar and the Smithsonian Library) indicates that the machine was designed by Joseph Hesse and bought by Singer in 1880, and Singer began production that year at their factory in Elizabeth, NJ. The 35-1 was also made at one point in Bridgeport CT. The same machine, called a 35K1, was manufactured as late as the 1950s in Scotland. The 35-1 was soon replaced with the improved 35-2 that had disc-type tension assemblies for each thread. One of the machines, I believe the 35K2 was manufactured as late as the mid 1960s in England.

The Singer badge on my machine is the early American version used by Singer manufacturing as early as 1875. It has the words “THE SINGER MFG Co N.Y.” on it, so presumably it was made in America and not the UK. Having the early Trade Mark on it indicates that it may have been made early in Elizabeth New Jersey. Most American-made machines, especially the ones made at Bridgeport, had serial numbers that generally included a W with 6 digits, and I can’t find a number like that on my machine anywhere. Of course, I still have some cleaning to do, but it’s not where the serial number appears on other machines. The number 450 is stamped where the serial number would normally be, but I’m still not sure it is a serial number. I don’t believe that it’s the part number, because that’s listed as 7951. It doesn’t have the normal brass model tag riveted on it either, or any signs of rivet holes.

The way it was used was that two pieces of carpet are joined by suspending them under tension with top sides together with the two edges at about shoulder height, and the machine is placed on the upper edges for sewing. The machine came with a large group of parts and accessories for the buyer to construct the rigging necessary to use the machine. The Smithsonian has a good photo of the rigging for the Class 35 machines.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine576_06a.jpg