View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 08:56 AM
pflum1

Christmas has lots of meaning to me. My mother family was from Germany and so was my father's. On Dec. 6, my birthday, we would go cut a cedar tree in the pasture (Christmas tree) and put it up. Then we would start making cookies, breads, etc. I was an only child, had one cousin and 2 part cousin, so not a big family. On Dec. 23, we would take Christmas cookies, Christmas breads, canned goodies to shut in families that couldn't get out and visit. Christmas eve, we went to church and received a sack with 1 orange, 1 apples, mixed nuts and some candy. Then we would go back to our house and open my presents. I don't remember my parents giving present to themselves. The next day, we would head to Grandparents house with a load of cooked food. Each family would bring food and we would have a festive of turkey, ham, several kinds of potatoes, vegetable and pies, bakes, cookies. After lunch, we would open presents and sing Christmas songs. My grandfather always gave a nice prayer before any meal, so we always felt very blessed to have such wonderful things. Then we would all take turns hand washing the good china and silverware. The guys would go hunting and the girls would play games, etc.
After my grandparents passed away, my mother and the part cousin mother would do Christmas. I still make cookies & potholders for people who are shut in. To me, Christmas is about helping others who have got old and can't help themselves. Now I only have a husband, one son, daughter in law and grand daughter, so I am still blessed and we still have lots of cookies, turkey, ham and all the trimming. Grand daughter is only 5, but she already taking gifts to family who's parents have been out of work. She is so happy when she sees their faces when they open the presents. It's a wonderful world to her. She always makes a wonderful plate of cookies for her grandpa and me. She is so proud of what she can do and does a wonderful job. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Last edited by pflum1; 12-13-2014 at 09:02 AM.