View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 01:51 PM
HouseDragon

We get more than our share of lightning storms: all our electronics are plugged into surge protectors. But if we are home during a storm, I run around and unplug the surge protectors from the outlets.

I knew that lightning can travel along wires that are turned off but plugged in. We had a coconut tree struck by lightning: we were lucky to have no major damage except a wall of muddy water went through the cottage bathroom window, the gutter was severely dented, the tree was killed, a huge hole was punched in the neighbour's driveway which sent chunks of concrete flying in every direction including the roof! And, get this, the lightning ran along the wet ground across the driveway, a lawn, and zapped the neighbour's outside water faucet! The across the street neighbour woke up to the flood coming across the street and had the tools to shut off the water.

My Husqvarna Sapphire is always unplugged when it isn't in use. It's more precious to me than our TVs!

I used to unplug the iron but I'm in a temporary very small space and had let that go. After reading this thread I going to Home Depot and buy surge protectors for this room with the long cord and the red light. You can get I'll unplug those after I quit sewing for the day.