View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Gray fox

Default Handcrank 306K (long)

After reading wonderful reviews of the 306K in 2010, the machine below turned up on eBay. At the time, I had no idea of the problem involved with installing a handcrank on this model machine......just liked the look and thought it would be great to have a zigzag machine that cranked. I had never installed a crank, taken off a motor, etc -- true beginner at this point.

The machine arrived with the motor installed (now I know why - to fit the case!) and it was missing several parts - bobbin tension guide, manual, bobbins, cams, attachments, int. bight screw. Mostly that was easily available. The real downside was the upper thread guide, broken, which always shredded the thread after a bit of stitching. The motor is a replacement and only goes very fast. Frustration.

The handcrank confounded me. It obviously was weird, with a big plate at the base that turned the thing at an angle and obviously was not going to fit on the orphan treadle 127 head I acquired. Drat. Cindy Peters must still consider me a crazed loon as I tried to describe the situation to her. The odd handcrank got stuck away in a box.

So lately, running through my list of parts needed, an upper thread guide turned up on eBay. Good. Now the machine could sew, but I also wanted to learn more about it, and searched Quilting Board.

THANK YOU, ThayerRags (CD in Oklahoma)!!!! Your comment a few months ago about the offset connection that caused handcranks to not fit on this machine brought about a real lightbulb moment!

The specially made plate welded to this handcrank makes it fit securely, nicely centered and it works beautifully! The machine is a delight to crank, and so thank you also to someone in Utah who went to the trouble and had the ability to pull off this neat trick.

Dianne in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails 306k.jpg