View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Snooze2978

My parents grew up during the depression so money was important to them. They worked hard 6 days a week, put money into savings or stocks and was able to retire early in life. Having money didn't make them happy though as they missed out with spending time with the family (kids). My father always told me that if you didn't have the money, you didn't need whatever it was that you wanted. Today that's hard to live by as everything has gotten so expensive and in this system of things, we're taught we can always charge it or take out a loan. Now that I'm retired, I'm trying to get back to the thinking that if I don't have the money to buy it, I don't really need it. Yes, its hard at times but I'm finding it easier to live by those rules. If I quit buying fabric right now I still have enough to use for many years. I find sharing what I have more fulfilling too.

Making gifts for others shows how much I think of them as I'm taking my time, effort into making the gift. I haven't given a store bought gift in years and most everyone around me know that. I try to make something they can use or enjoy with their likes in mind. If that makes me a Scrooge, so be it.

If I have more than I need whether its food, clothing, etc. I will share with someone that is in need. That's what the good book asks of us and to do it joyfully, not begrudgingly and not expecting something in return.......and not bragging about it either. Giving should be between you, the receiver and God.

That's all I have to say on this subject.