Old 12-15-2014, 09:32 AM
meyert

Default quilting a "birthed" quilt - - any tips???

I had only used the "birth" technique on receiving blankets. These were 30 x 30 and there was no problems. Over the weekend I did a larger quilt.. about twin size. Now I have a little bit of a challenge. Everything turned right side out fine, and it looks really pretty. My concern is that now my backing material is a little too big which is causing some "slop". Not a bunch, but it looks like maybe it ended up 1" wider than the top and batting. I know 100% all 3 layers were the same size to start with because I laid them all on top of eachother and compared. Maybe the backing stretched??? who knows Anyway, I need to do something to hold all 3 layers together. I have only tied a quilt one time and it was a complete failure. Not sure I want to try that again. My batting says can be "stitched up to 4 inches apart". If I tie this does that mean I need to have my ties 4 inches apart as well? I am still tempted to machine quilt the layers. Does anyone have any tips or techniques that I could try or at least keep in mind as I finish this quilt up?