View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 10:40 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by tracylynn View Post
If you could only have one or two quilt books, what would they be?

I am looking for some recommendations for a sort of all-purpose quilting book. I just started to quilt a few months ago and have taken one beginner class and completed a couple of small lap quilt projects. My husband and I are moving to a farmhouse up in the hills in Ecuador at the end of the month and I won't have access to a quilting shop, so I have to take everything with me that I'll need to use.

I have an old Singer 15-91, so I can't do any fancy stitches, just straight stitches and I have really enjoyed piecing quilt tops but have only quilted with rows of straight stitches. I haven't learned how to FMQ yet and only bought one quilt pattern to take with me.
I still use mostly her methods except tossing the scraps over my shoulder, I can't get to the floor to pick them back up! Lol!
Thanks for your recommendations!
the best book I can recommend from personal experience is "Eleanor Burns Irish Chain Quilt in a day". She not only shows step by step directions, she also shows how to break a quilt project into manageable steps. It was my first book, and was so easy to follow, on my own, that it caused my current quiltaholism. I still use mostly her methods, except her binding. (I found an easier way.)