View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Marilynsue View Post
Jan, what condition is this 1790 quilt in?
My family went to pick up this quilt from a very aged family member I'd never met when I was about 9 years old. I didn't see it again until my father (it was in his family) mailed it to me in TX decades later because I was the quilter in the family.

I was shocked when I opened it one thew floor in the living room because it appeared there were little cock roaches in it! But that turned out to be chips of the chintz fabrics that had been dyed brown and set with iron mordants....they were "rusting" to pieces. It was incredibly fragile in the chintz, but the applique and the linen were in perfect condition.

Colonial Williamsburg has it in climate-controlled storage for a research item; it's too fragile to show. I even had to allow them to handle it, instead of me, when I last saw it 3-4 years ago to photograph it and match fabrics to reproduce it.

They keep it because of its extreme age and the written provenance. They told me it was "at least 1780 or earlier". There is only one other similar quilt in their collection, in better shape, but they know nothing about it at all.

I am SO thankful my father, who at first wanted to sell it, sent to me for study and safe keeping! Knowing about this quilt, the Dabney side of our family, and being able to research that it passed through the female line (Daddy was the only male to have it by default for a while) has changed who I am.

Jan in VA