View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 01:26 PM
sews

Default Good basic solid vintage zz machine?

I'm still looking for a good SOLID basic zigzag machine and my head is starting to spin with all the info I have to wade through, only to find some are slant needle, which I don't want, or do only straight stitch...

Maybe you can help me narrow things down.

I have a 201 for straight stitch and a Citation for zigzag -- but I want something more solid for the zigzag - along the lines of the Singer 328k which belongs to my husband. Of course we could share, but he does not take care of things - the 328 tends to ride in his pick-up along with a lot of other stuff that lives in there....

The 328 makes a better stitch than my Citation or my Necchi, both 70s (metal) machines.
I was originally looking for a 50s/60s Japanese machine and I now wonder how they compare to the 328.
Can anyone suggest a Japanese ZZ machine that is as solid as the 328?

I looked up 319s, since one is available locally, but they are just a bit too much of a machine since I don't need the embroidery functions. I make cloth bags, so I want to be able to go through several layers and need as much clearance under the foot as the 201 has.

TIA.