View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 07:43 AM
vicki reno

The finnished size will be a 10" block. It will be 3 across and 4 down. I am hoping that with sashing, that will do for a lap or sofa quilt. I plan to at least outline each petal of the flowers with top stitching. This is an accumnulation of fat quarters that I bought at the quilt show in Hampton, VA a few weeks ago with this quilt in mind. I am unsure of the color for the sashing, but am thinking about using the same green as the petals, but will have to play around with it and try different greens to see if I like that one best. The fabrics were all batiks, that was a big thing at the quilt show this year lots and lots of them used in all diffferent styles.
I am using variations of these fabrics in all the blocks, but with batiks you can do that and the colors will be arranged in different orders. The basket was a variation of an old pattern by Ruby Short McKIm who use to publish years ago (like maybe the 30's and 40's). It was shown in an issue of American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine. I wanted to do baskets but with a little different twist to them and this was fairly easy to do using a pressing bar. The strips were seamed wrong sides together and the seam is trimmed and turned to the back and pressed--much easier that trying to turn each strip inside out and then press. I had some washaway stabilizer in the closet that has a paper back to peel off. When you do this one side becomes slightly tacky or sticky and that made weaving the baskets much easier than having to use a lot of pins to hold everything in place. Each basket took one strip 1 1/2 inches by width of the fabric 42-45".
My aunt is in her 80's and has always loved pansies and I think that's where I got my love of them too. She is a special lady and I wanted to do something special for her, and that's where the idea to use pansies came from. I used a very light weight fusible webbing--no paper on the back so a pressing cloth is needed, but it is not stiff like some of the others can be. I got it at the fabric store and it is called fine fuse. It was a piece 23 1/2 by 36" for about $3.00 well worth it to me.
I am sorry that I wrote so long, but Be glad I'm not wearing out your ears :!: I can go on and on about quilts, I am sorry :? :!: