View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 06:14 AM
quiltbuddy

My other hobbies are rug hooking and weaving. For rug hooking wool is washed before using and to get it ready to dye. Of course in rug hooking we want it to felt a little so it's easier to hook with. Most hookers just throw it in their washing machine on a short cycle and dry in the dryer to get it to felt a little. Freshly woven fabric (wool, included) is wet finished after being removed from the loom. Hand washed wool usually comes out soft and beautiful and not felted by being careful not to shock it by changing the temperature too quickly and not agitating too much (soaking is better) Use a little squirt of Dawn dish detergent. After washing hundreds of yards of new and recycled wool I've only had one disappointment when the wool was woven in an open and loose weave and it felted and got really fuzzy. I used my washing machine but I'm sure it would have been better to hand wash this one. Also, hold it up to a window to see if you have any moth holes before starting. Is it woolen or worsted (worsted is like the wool fabric in a man's suit). Worsted would probably be better off going to the dry cleaners. You can put in the dryer for 5 or 10 minutes but any longer and you're taking a chance for felting. It all depends on the wool (type of sheep used to make the yarn, weave structure and sett, and the spin of the yarn). Pendleton has made 1000's of different types of wool fabric so they would probably tell you to dry clean just to be safe.

Last edited by quiltbuddy; 12-18-2014 at 06:23 AM.