View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM
ILoveToQuilt

Had a Rowenta. Liked it at first, then stopped working after about a year (bought at JAF - no refund as it was too old). Bought a $14 lightweight Black & Decker at Walmart and absolutely love it. Non-stick sole plate, gets nice and hot, auto shut off...I highly recommend.

From an 80 year old tailor on irons: never, ever, ever use water in an iron! Not distilled, not tap, not rain - no water at all. Water will cause the insides to rot out and cause leakage (even if you empty it) on any iron over time. If you must have steam, get a separate steaming unit or do as our grandmothers did - spritz/spray the fabric with water, let it sit for a minute, then press. For really stubborn wrinkles, dampen fabric and put it in a plastic bag and put in fridge for an hour or so. Somehow the cold helps to release the wrinkles. Just my 2 cents...for what it's worth.

Again, I love my cheap Black & Decker iron so much I bought a second one for my vacation home. (I iron clothes every day - husband needs crisp shirts and pants for work. Used to take to dry cleaners, but got too expensive for them to press. The B & D iron, for such a cheap unit, is a work horse).