View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Lisanne

By AAA "insurance" it sounds like you're talking about their roadside assistance plan, but they have insurance, too.

I've had both. I've used the roadside assistance for towing a few times over the years, once after a car accident, a couple of times for flats. (My tires seem to attract nails.)

They send you a magazine every month or so, with driving tips, travel articles, ads for their products and so on.

I used their discount on a rental car once.

I've gotten their free maps and US travel guides and have used their hotel discounts many times (though AAA discounts don't usually get you the best hotel rates if you're a real bargain hunter).

I've gotten discounts on the admission cost of a few tourist attractions.

I'm sure I got one or two store discounts, but most of their shopping discounts seem to be for online shopping only now. For example, you can use it for a discount on BarnesandNoble.com, but not at their bookstores.

And, as I said, I had their car insurance for a few years. They gave me the best deal when I lived in NJ, but not when I moved to PA.

A couple of things to be aware of:
1. Not all AAAs are equal, though they try to be. They are regional, and what your membership fee covers may be different.
2. The most basic membership gives you a tow for a distance of only 3 miles, I believe. (Again, this may vary by region.) For a higher rate, they'll cover towing up to 100 miles. I only just learned that you only get 3 tows a year. I'd never heard of that before. Not that I need a tow that often, but what if I did? I was very unhappy to learn that.
3. Speaking of car insurance, your car insurance policy may offer towing, at least, after accidents. MY policy does. So check and then decide whether to add on AAA. (I still get it every year.)