View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 12:52 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by cjtinkle View Post
I would say it skips a stitch about every 2-3 inches. Sometimes a lot less, rarely more.

When switching from a 50wt 2ply, to a 50wt 3 ply, I wouldn't think a tension adjustment would be needed. I never have to adjust the tension on any of my numerous other machines switching even from a 50wt to a 60wt. From 50wt to 12wt, sure.
Needle flat left? every 2 - 3 inches sounds a lot like the 201 that we were troubleshooting a few months back and it turned out to be a needle in wrong. I've done it myself recently, even though I know better. You can check the timing on it very easily though. Perhaps someone else can point you to the post / video I'm not to post.

The thing about thread weights is that they're not standard. We use them as a guideline. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OJa...S2--0Hk5XcbRMs

50/2 vs 50/3 could in theory be different enough. I've also found that different machines like more adjustments than others. I serviced 4 featherweights in a row the other day and not one of them was exactly the same setting for the top tensioners. I set the bottom tensions the same on all of them, but 2 landed at way more turns in than the other 2 for the same tension up top.

I mention it only because I've seen tension problems mistaken for timing many times. Conversely, a timing problem can look like a tension problem.

Oh! and to answer your original question: I use Aurifil mostly on my FW but have never had trouble with anything I've tried to use. All thread choices here are due to my own thread snobbery, not those of my machines.