View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Suz

One thing that has not been mentioned here are the GLOVES. You can use your kitchen gloves or just the tips once cut from the gloves or quilting gloves from the LQS. Any gloves w/little grippies on the palm/fingers. It is so important to be able to grip the fabric. Grabbing handfuls of fabric just doesn't work for me. Some have used damp (not wet) sponges.

Also, when FMQ, make a nest of the area you want to quilt. And make sure the other area of the quilt are supported and not causing DRAG on the area are quilting. I have two cheap (Goodwill-$3) ironing boards to my front and left for support. Once you feel drag, stop and rearrange your quilt top. Keep your nest smooth. And try to tell yourself where to go next and then slowly FMQ to that area.

I have a 20x20 layered piece that I practice on before starting on a project. I can get to feel the FMQ movement as well as being able to check my stitches before moving on. And like others have stressed: PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND PRACTICE. You will only get better.

Hope this helps.