View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 03:41 PM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

What is the care info on the blanket label? Many wool blankets are washable and won't felt, though they may shrink a small amount. If it says dry clean or cold wash dry flat then it may felt, but I've had stuff that also said dry clean and washed in the washer just fine. As far as your other comment about a felted bundle, not sure what 'kind' of wool you think you might get. All felted wool is wool, some heavier/thicker than others, but you can buy felt fabric that's not wool. Like craft felt. You don't want to use that. When I was doing a lot of work with wool felt, I went to the thrift store and got some wool ladies blazers. Just look for the 100% wool & dry clean label. I just tossed them into a hot wash. Most will felt, but amazingly, some won't. One thing to be aware of, jacket fronts and lapels often have fusible interfacing. Sometimes it peels off after felting, sometimes you can use it with it left on and sometimes you have to discard this portion of the garment.
It's also a good idea to wash the garments in zippered pillow cases as sometimes the process throws off a lot of lint.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 12-21-2014 at 03:47 PM.