View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 09:39 AM
J Miller

The low shank system is the most common. You can get most everything your imagination can think of for them.
Sew-Classic has a good selection of both the regular screw on feet and the snap on type.
This was not a time when a Rube Goldberg modification was called for.

In removing the presser foot bar you knocked it out of alignment. Now you'll need to get a correct ZZ foot that lines up with the feed dogs and then realine it. It's not hard to do.
Make sure that when the foot is on it, and the presser foot is down, that the foot rests on the bed of the machine when the dogs are down. If it doesn't, you won't be able to get proper tension on the fabric.

I prefer solid mounted feet rather than the snap on feet. I've had way to many occasions for the release lever to be bumped and the feet drop off when I'm sewing. It's difficult to have to fiddle with getting the foot back on when your in the middle of sewing something.

There is little difference between regular High Shank feet, and Low Shank feet other than the height of the shank. You can use the Low Shank feet on High Shank machines with the adapter.
There is also an adapter to use Low Shank feet with the Super High shank Kenmore machines, Sew-Classic has them.
Also the Singer Slant Shank feet look a lot like High Shank feet, but in no way will they interchange. They do not line up and when clamped on the presser foot bar are totally out of alignment with the needle.

Joe

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 10:40 AM. Reason: language