View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 03:16 AM
DebbieJJ

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I'm a floater! I pin only the back on the take up roller leader. Then I float the batting about 2 - 3 inches from the pin line on the take up roller, then float the top on that. I also attach side leaders to the backing to keep it taut. That and the weight of the backing, batting and top provide plenty of tension until the last row or so. At that time, I attach the remaining backing to the next roller, tighten it up, and finish the quilt.

This method was necessitated by back, neck, shoulder arm and hand pain that happened when I attached all layers of the quilt to the frame rails. It took a couple of quilts to get it to work right, but since then this method has worked very well.
This is my method also. I'm seriously considering trying the Red Snapper system though, as even just the above hurts my back & shoulders, so anything larger than a baby quilt has to be pinned a few hours before I start quilting on it. Ahhhh, the joys of growing older! LOL Thankful to be alive and well otherwise, though!