Old 12-27-2014, 11:41 AM
quiltingbuddy

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
I can't see that but the color would shadow through the petals on the one side. Maybe you have thought up a new way of making this quilt! LOL!

We were posting at the same time! How funny.

My favorite way to do this easy shaped applique is to buy the Knit fusible interfacing. It is soft and pliable. Pin the fabric shapes to the interfacing right sides together and sew. You don't have to cut out the interfacing shapes until after you sew all around. (my down and dirty fast method.) I sew it to the shape right sides together, carefully cut a "X" in the middle of the interfacing and then turn the shape right side out, then you use a non pointed object like a chop stick to smooth out all the edges of the petal. Then you cut away all of the interfacing except a quarter inch around the edges. That way when you iron it to the backing, it is much nicer to quilt later. Because there are only two layers of the top to go through. Make sense? I like to use a outline stitch to stitch it down. You can test out the stitch length until you find the width and length you like and that works well with the layers. Then off you go stitching it down on your block.
I've never heard of knit fusible interfacing. Who makes it? is it an actual knit (which can stretch) or what is the deal with it? Thanks.