View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 02:46 AM
kiffie2413

Thank you all kindly for your nice comments.

Though I know and have been told traditional crazy quilts aren't sashed, I did the sashing because Mom's eyesight isn't the greatest, and it "breaks up" the blocks where she can see each one better.

I used several pieces of vintage jewelry that were Mom's, some that were inherited pieces from her mom and her grandmother as well. The horse on the Christmas tree block was one of Mom's bobby socks pins. The pendant on the Valentine block was given to her from my dad, it's engraved with their names...etc.
I originally had 12 blocks, but it was getting so heavy that I asked if she would prefer 9? She really loved them all, but I could tell she did better with the weight of just the 9 blocks, so 9 it stayed.

The other 3 blocks I'm finishing now, they will be a runner to go on the hope chest my dh made Mom years ago. That way she can enjoy them as well.

What's funny is prior to my friend teaching the classes on Brazilian embroidery, she asked our lil quilt group who was interested in learning crazy quilting?
I politely said, "No thanks" as the ones I'd seen in books were just dark and I'm sorry, "unattractive" to me.
At the next meeting, she brought several of her squares. I had to eat crow with both feet in my mouth (hard to do, but I managed..lol) as the squares were so lovely!
I signed up for her classes that day.
I have another set of 12 blocks pieced (machine piecing, but all embroidery and embellishments are by hand), that I had intended to finish for a quilt for myself. I do have the centers on all of them done, but after finally getting Mom's completed, I don't know that I'll ever finish and put them all together into a quilt for myself.

Kif