View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 AM
KenmoreRulesAll

You're all making great points -- such nice comments, too.

I hadn't thought that this was a byproduct of an inquisitive mind but I like the sound of that! I think I'll copy/paste/print and frame that statement.

I think that what's largely at work here is the process of fascination with something new -> fascination with the designs of the machines (how they look, features) -> with refurbishing (very satisfying to find something with potential and realize that potential) -> with mechanics (basic repairs). Now I'm on to actual sewing. Amazing that I still can't even sew besides running stitch tests for tension, etc.

Like you, Sunflower, I'm over impulse buying. I'm into letting someone else have the great deal. (Aren't I generous? ) I'll probably still buy now and then if I find a great, great price on a really nice machine but industrials are more expensive and take up more space, so I have to be much more selective.

And like you, Rodney, it's a need/want issue. The appreciation for old mechanical machines will never die; I'll always like these things but the need to have them is a drive I no longer feel. And I'm beginning to agree completely re. the basic black machines. I tend to really like the German-made machines and there are several I'd still like to have.